It Ain’t Easy Being Cheesey!

Today I’m just gonna mention something about cheese.  I will first tell you up front that I know practically nothing about cheeses except that some just kill my stomach (lactose intolerance) and then makes me run to the potty, and that most taste awesome.  So I’m not gonna pretend like I know something about it. 

I’ll admit from a young age that I’ve been a picky eater and, that I was a typical consumer eating all that processed stuff (and still do).  It’s not until in my old age, am I starting to really open up more to some tastes of the world and give my palette something nice to process.  My last girlfriend started to open my eyes to real flavors and I will forever be in her debt for that. And then I went crazy and we broke up.  (thanks for bringing up painful memories)  My sister has been getting me to try some different cheeses for a little while now and I’m really enjoy it.  Happy that she picked up the slack and is helping me enjoy food.

This piece is called Lagrein.   The Lagrein wine flavored cheese is produced with the pure pasteurized mountain milk in the Alto Adige Region in northern Italy. Made according to the traditional methods handed down through generations, it is characterized by irregular cracks and cured with the Lagrein wine. The cheese has a creamy and elastic texture with a nutty flavor and accent flavors of wine and spice.  It is made from cow’s milk and is pasteurized.

I got this from Fairway in Redhook in Brooklyn.  It’s like a gourmet supermarket and the prices aren’t bad at all.  Their cheese counter is really nice, and there is a guy there that is always so awesome to let us try different kinds of cheese.  I’ll have to get his name next time.  He’s just a real nice guy and happy to show you something similar to what you’re buying so you can try something new.  Sales tactic I know, but one that I’m happy that works.  Other nice thing is that they cut it for you right off the wheel.  A friend of mine tells me the other Fairway location in Manhattan doesn’t always do the same and have kinda stinky attitudes.  And while you’re there, get yourself some lunch.  Take it outside to eat while you overlook the bay and the statue of liberty. 

Then tonight I decided to wind down and sit down at my desk to watch a movie. I fixed up a small plate of the lagrein with some Carr’s rosemary crackers and a some grapes.   So not typical for me to eat this way but, I enjoyed the simplicity of it.  Was a great combo.

Just don’t eat the rind.

 

If this story reads weird, it’s cause it’s about 4:45am and I’m feeling loopy.

G

Comments

Popular Posts