Calexico Part Deux

So………I finally got a chance to have Calexico again, YAY!  I enjoyed the fact that I was able to hear myself and my friend.  The first time I stopped in there was well into dinner time and it was loud as hell.  They turn up the music so people can hear it but then people have to speak up to be heard over the music and then it just becomes a vicious circle.  Anyways…we have a seat and get our order in.

I had a Chipotle Pork taco and a Carne Asado burrito just so ya know.

2011-08-04_14-28-53_963Chipotle Pork taco,  one is my friends2011-08-04_14-27-54_7022011-08-04_14-28-45_872Carne Asado burrito.

Ok, so here is the skinny.  Maybe it’s this nouveau way of creating some classic dishes or something but they are kinda stealing some of the essence of the dish.  The crème they used for the tacos was quite nice but hard to figure out what was really in it cause the chipotle type sauce on the pork kinda disrupted the flavor of that crème.  The chipotle sauce was kind of a slightly sweetened hot sauce.  Hard to really figure out if the pork was great or not.  Sad smile   The burrito  *sighs*  Bland.   boring rice, boring black beans and little bit of meat that was  eh.     I was so excited about this place when I first seen it in my neighborhood but now I’m not.   Like if I’m really jonzing for some Mexican and it’s late, don’t feel like traveling…then I’ll go here.   But I’d rather time it and drive over to Fort Greene Bklyn and go some take out from Chipotle.  

Maybe I’m being a bit harsh but I had all day to think of it and this is what I feel about it.  It has the potential to be better.   Basically it’s mexican food for people who just don’t know any better.   But I’ll give it a 3rd try sometime and maybe it will change my mind.

So for now I’m gonna give it 2 Fat Guts

icon-newfatbelly icon-newfatbelly

 

Give it a try and tell me I’m wrong.

Calexico 

645 Manhattan Ave
(between Bedford Ave & Norman Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11222

Comments

  1. This was a very entertaining read Greg...thoughtful, knowledgeable and open-minded, most of all warm and honest. Keep eatin' and writin' but make sure you exercise too! P.S. I'm launching my unique fitness class in September in Astoria...drop by, get a good workout and meet some girls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts