Bombay Garden of Greenpoint

Was in the mood for a little Bollywood tonight, and I was thinking…where can I go where there would be some playing on a tv right now?  “DING!” A light popped up above my head (yes, like in the cartoons) I’ll go to Bombay Garden.    O.K. all that before was some bullshit, but I ended up there after jonzin me some Indian food.  And they had some Bollywood movie playing on the tele. What a coinkydink!

I did take out, which I think is one of the few cuisines that can actually still taste good after it’s been containerized and sitting for a little bit. 

  • I started off with the Shahi Vegetable Samosa spicy seasoned potatoes and peas wrapped in a light pastry
  • Entrée was the Rogan Josh - Chicken, Lamb, Beef tender cubes of meat marinated in eastern spices, sauteed with chopped tomatoes in a creamy sauce
  • and can’t ever resist me some Garlic Naan.

The samosas are good.  Come in pairs, looked like 2 triangular breasts that just screamed “EAT ME!"  I was happy to oblige.  But really, they are good.  The dough wasn't fried up to this super crunchy crumbly mess that some places make them into. They were soft, just how I like 'em.  And inside were potato and pease, surprise surprise.  It has some nice zing to it and you feel like you can munch on them all night during a movie or something, but they fill you up fast.Picture 6

I had the Rogan Josh with beef.  Was happy to see they didn’t skimp out on it.  And this is where I need to start learning my Indian food.  Hard for me to describe the flavors and know exactly what was inside it.  The sauce was very savory, slight hint of heat from the spices and had some veg in it besides tomato, but was hard to identify.  Could have been a mild pepper or bean of some sort.  Flavor was masked by sauce.  All Entrees Served With Steamed Basmati Rice.   The rice was descent but not as aromatic and flavorful as I would have liked.  Still descent enough though.

2011-08-09_20-50-50_8162011-08-09_21-10-44_363

Garlic Naan.  Love this stuff.  Wish I could just wrap all the beef in it and smothered it in the sauce, rolled it up and wolfed it down.  That would for sure been messy, but I kept my composure.  It was good, and one of the few things that doesn’t survive well when wrapped and eaten later.  Small parts of it were too dry, but the center was nice.  Not enough garlic though.  When you call it garlic naan, I expect it to drop my blood pressure significantly with all the garlic on it.  But that’s just me. 

 

I see people giving it 3.5stars and I think that’s fair.   It’s not DHABA, (and not fair for me to compare it to there) but it’s passable.  Perhaps some other dishes might wow me in the future.  The first dish I always go for and use as the test dish is a Vindaloo, and preferably with lamb.  I wanted to be different this time around.  But for sure next time, I’m going for it.

Since I don’t use a rating system that has half's in it,  (mainly cause my rating guy fat gut would have his spilled all over the place) I’m giving this place 3 Fat Guts.

   icon-newfatbellyicon-newfatbellyicon-newfatbelly

I will eat here again, mainly cause it isn’t bad and within a close proximity of my home.  I really like Taj Mahal in WilliyB around Bedford Ave and N5 but that place has been slipping IMO.  So Bombay will get my business again.  Next time I’ll get my sister to try it with me, she’s one to say if something sucks and why, and perhaps next time I’ll have her write up the review.  Oh and this place needs to be listed onto more sites in the intrawebs.  Found 2 places with an address and no comments or reviews and only Menupages for an actual menu.

Bombay Garden
651 Manhattan Ave   Btwn Bedford & Norman Ave
(718) 383-0956

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular Posts