Masala Indian Cuisine

So I’m play chauffeur for mom around the Jackson Heights area looking for some shops she saw the night before when we were just out driving around wasting time.  Around 74thSt there is a place known as Little India, the whole thing is like like 2sq blocks and is just loaded with shopping and places to eat.  Home to Indians, Bangladeshis, and Pakistanis it’s a great spot to visit, like we did.  Mom was on the hunt for some new curtains and a blanket of some kind. 

So after, she suggested I look for a place to grab some lunch.  She said the nabe was making her hungry cause of all these awesome smells in the air.   I yelped my phone and came across a place called Masala.  Ratings on it made me happy, and it’s not expensive, so we drove over to Woodside. Let’s break it down, shall we?

If you have time, go after 2pm during the week for lunch,  the place was quiet.  Like really quiet, as in we were the only customers in the place.  I like to think we missed the lunch rush. 

Mom started off with a Masala tea.  She ordered it, but wasn’t sure if she would like it or not.  Nice hint of cinnamonononon and other spices we couldn’t identify.  We both agreed that it could use a bit of sugar, 1 packet later and I liked it even more.  Mom wasn’t so sure if she liked it or not but, she said that as she was getting deeper into the cup that it was growing on her and was liking it more and more.  I liked it off the bat, and after a bit o’ sugar, was better.

I had the Lemonade.  And what I got looked like this.

 IMG_1441

It was more lemonade looking yellow when I first got it, then I stirred it up a bit.  Not saying this is bad, just puzzling.  Lemonade is sweet and tart kinda at the same time, but more tart.  It goes down a bit rough for me but still quite enjoyable and refreshing, but this was different.  It still was tart and rough for me but also had a real smooth side to it.  Kinda similar to like a lassi.  I guess like a lemonade lassi, but I didn’t taste any kind of yogurt in it.  It was smooth like one.  The white froth on top is from shaved blended ice? and had a spash on top of that looked like a squirt of carrot juice,  tasted a bit like it but couldn’t identify it.  I say fuck it and have one.  You’ll be like,  “this is lemonade, but not, but it still is”  Just get it.

 

SAMOSAS!!!

IMG_1443IMG_1447

 

Oh man how I love these things.  They were a thing of beauty.  TBH, I haven’t had a samosa that was this good in almost forever.  The crust was flaky and soft, not fried to death, but till a light golden brown.  We had the vegi that had potato, peas and some spices.  It was served with a side of chutneys.  I would go back just to order these alone.

 

Madras with Lamb in a tangy sauce with tomatoes and herbs.

IMG_1449

With a side of GARLIC NAAN,  and you all know how I love garlic naan.  And if you don’t, your just mean and don’t pay attention to me when I speak.  jk  Smile    It came with quite a bit of basmati rice which was a bit more than both of us could handle.  Mom and I shared the entrée cause from experience, I go off eating all of it and then want to go into a food coma.  Sharing the entrée was a good move on my part.

This is a mild/medium dish on the heat scale, mom loves some spice but can't handle to much so I thought this would be good for her.  Of course it had to be lamb, we just love those those fuzzy little mofos.  Again, since I’ve never really learned how each spice tastes and told it’s name, it’s hard for me to tell you exactly what this dish is made with,  it’s freaking yummy.   I especially enjoyed wrapping up some lamb chunks up with the naan and eating it that way, pure bliss.   Mom followed my lead and did the same.  We just used some of the sauce over the rice as a side which was great too.  If no one was looking I swear that my mom would have licked that serving dish clean, we joked about it.  When the server came up to us and asked how everything was I told her that my mom was about to lick the dish before she came over.  I embarrassed mom, but being a good sport, she laughed it off.  

IMG_1451

On some garlic naan greatness.

I really need to learn my spices so I can give you a better description in future reviews.  

Totally awesome, I give it more than the 3 stars that Yelp gives it, though when I checked it on my phone it had more,  I know it did.  I added this as a favorite of mine and plan on going back later this month or early next month.  Care to join me?

I’m giving this place 4 Fat Guts

icon-newfatbelly icon-newfatbellyicon-newfatbellyicon-newfatbelly

Definitely worth the try, even better if you take me with you and treat!  Winking smile

Masala Indian Cuisine

39-26 61st St
Woodside, NY 11377
Neighborhood: Woodside
(718) 672-9500

Comments

Popular Posts