The Burger Guru

What goes prancing around the forest all happy like, sipping water from a brook, showing off their horns to the other animals but ends up on my plate?

ANTELOPE

And that’s what I’ll be talking about today.

 

I learned that there isn’t that much to say about antelope.  I spoke to a friend who told me they had it plenty of times and that it’s pretty gamey,  which is understandable.  They were eating wild antelope.  I figured if it came from a farm or something, it can’t be as gamey if at all.  I was right. When we got to the Guru joint and picked out my burger I asked for a recommendation on how to have the meat cooked.  It was explained that it is very lean and that it should be medium rare to rare.  If burger meat that is very lean is cooked to well then, it pretty much becomes a hockey puck.  Blech!   So for my first time I opted for med/rare. 

    

I added cheddar to it, and it comes on a bun with lettuce tomato and pickle.  The bun was a bit sweet and I really should have eaten the burger with only the bottom bun.  The top bun I felt after was too much and took away from the flavor of the burger itself.  Just made it a bit sweet overall.  I tried the burger itself without the bun first, just to see what it really tasted like.  To me it really tastes like ostrich.  I thought it would have been more like elk which I like from another burger joint, but I was wrong.  (My friend had the wagyu burger which I want next time.  If you don’t know about wagyu beef, look it up online)  On the side I had some sweet potato fries.  I was pretty impressed with these fries, they were very light and crispy with a soft center,  didn’t taste like they were seasoned at all or maybe a pinch of salt.  I dip in ketchup so that adds all the extra salt I would need.  To drink, a pretty pricey Arnold Palmer that was real nice, but for almost $3.50, not worth it. 

If you live or know my area and you know where Teddy’s is, then the place is right across the street.  Kinda a smaller place, about 12 tables and has seating out in the back as well I think.  It was really quiet as we were the only customers in the place.  Gotta see it when it’s crowded.  But I like empty.  Probably cause of the weather. 

Overall it was a nice experience gastronomically.   I do want to go back and try out some of the other burgers, but it it’s really crowded, go across the street to Teddy’s.  They make a killer burger there.  

Giving this place 3 out of 5 guts until it blows me away with something else.

   

 

The Burger Guru 98 Berry Street, Brooklyn, NY (718) 599-4878

theburgerguru.com

Comments

Popular Posts