La Villita

Hey ho everyone! Today I went on adventure, an adventure to WUNDERLAND!!! It was great boys and girls! There were so many things to see and do, I don't know how I didn't  nut myself with excitement! Today's adventure led me to the mysterious world known as Sheepshead Bay. Sounds creepy doesn't it? SHEEPS HEAD. If you ask me, sounds fucking delicious. But I'll save that for another story. I met up with my friend Neil and we ate @ La Villita!!!


This place is good, pretty damn good. I definitely want to go back and try a few more dishes. I should get a small group of 3 or 4 and everyone order something different, so that each can try  a third of the others dish. Neil heard about this place and suggested it as it was in his area and,  I was going out to meet up with him to hang a bit. Plenty of things to try from the menu, but I started with the basics from what I know.


To start, I had a single carnitas taco, yummos. Plenty of pork and it was seared or braised on the outside and gave it a tiny bit of crispness to it, and then rest of the meat just pulled apart like it should. It's like pulled pork only not as pulled apart. :) I added a bit of the salsa they gave us for the chips to kick it up a bit, a bit of some guac and squeezed the lime. Then it had a whole lot of flavor all over the place, just the way I like it. Though the guac I ordered for the table could have had a bit of a kick to it. It was smooth, but no pep. Did balance out the taco though.



Onto the next dish. I ordered a Suadero Burrito. Suadero is unknown to me and I read a comment on yelp to order it regardless if you know it or not, so I did. Who's to argue? I looked it up and this is what suadero is. (Suadero, in Mexican cuisine, is a thin cut of beef from the brisket (breast of the cow). Suadero is noted for having a smooth texture rather than a muscle grain. Typically, suadero is grilled and used as a taco filling.)
In other words, effing yummy. The burrito was pretty big in size and came with a small little salad on the side of the plate to mix along. I added some of the salsa to this as well ((cause I fricking love salsa, OK!? (in my best Napoleon Dynamite accent) )). The beef was braised and seasoned with mexi goodness and stuffed in with rice. I don't recall beans in it. Hmmm, I will have to pay more attention next time. But shoved some guac in there too and blamo!!!

 

I asked my friend Neil to add a few words to this post about what he thought of his dish. Take it away dude.

Sidekick Neil here, the friend from the BETTER side of Brooklyn.

My first visit to La Villita, which is pretty sad since I only live about 2 miles away. This is a small storefront restaurant, one you could easilly imagine having been a luncheonette in a past life. The wall jukebox literally blares mexican music, and starts and stops on it own whim. Sorta like a comedy routine when you're having a conversation. The wall paintings do add a friendly look to the place. But I came for some good mexican food, and that's what I got. Started with a quick $2 chicken taco as a baseline. Lots of chicken, two soft taco shells (too much filling for just one,)  grilled chicken chunks that were tasty and not dried out, lots of quacamole (a little on the bland side, but still good.) The chicken enchilladas plate was really yummified. Fully stuffed, nice portion, tasty sweet ( I asked for not hot) red sauce,  really good refried beans, and decent rice. I'll definitely go back and try some of the other dishes. Oh, and the waitress was attentive (and cute.) As far as this place being authentic, seemed to me everyone else eating there was also Mexican. (Racial profiling, anyone?) It loses one belly for the loud music and luncheonette vibe, but definitely 4 bellies for the food itself.

Greg says:
I've read several reviews online about this place and only complaint people really have is that the wait staff can be shoddy sometimes. My only complaint was the music coming from the juke was a bit to loud to have a normal conversation. Music did stop for a while later, which was nice. The price for it is $$ and well worth a stop in if you're in the area and hungry.
Now I'm not sure how authentic this place was cause I kinda got fixated on what I wanted right away but, there were some choices on the menu that you never see at a texmex place. So what do cow feet taste like anyways?



I'm giving it fat guts

                        Neil is giving it fat guts


Give it a try.
La Villita
1249 Avenue U
Brooklyn, NY 11229

Comments

Popular Posts